Cool Collections

Discuss other geeky things!

Cool Collections

Postby kittypippin » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:19 pm

Anyone have any ridiculously awesome collections that they're proud of? Not necessarily really geeky ones (though technically speaking, anything you're super passionate about qualifies you as a geek in that area).

Mine include books (I'm working on building up a library that will fill up at least one room in my future house), notebooks/journals (particularly Moleskines, but also really pretty ones and some from cool places I've been to), bottles of awesome drinks (connected to my minor obsession with drinks, from Dr. Pepper to gourmet sodas and micro-brewed beer), and shot glasses (my newest one is a collapsible shot glass from ThinkGeek. Not sure how useful it will be, but it's really freaking cool).
kittypippin

Re: Cool Collections

Postby pandacobain » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:22 am

Panda stuff. >_> Panda stuff is the best. Stuffed pandas, shot glasses with pandas, panda figurines, panda calenders, just anything panda really. Haha. If ya can't tell by my username, I love Pandas. :P

And do stuffed animals count? I don't really collect them I guess but I love stuffed animals. I know I know... A 21 year old that loves stuffed animals. But they help me sleep, since I have a problem in my side that has yet to be fixed, it helps keep pressure off as bad to sleep with them and they help keep me able to breathe. xD But I have 3 little tubs of stuffed animals for when I have kids... A lot of them are from my grandmother on my mom's side and she and I were really close so they're really important to me.

I've started on my Doctor Who collection but it is very very small at the moment.
pandacobain

Postby kittypippin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:41 pm

Stuffed animals count. I'm 24 and I still have a bunch that I've carted around with me most everywhere, including the multiple moves back and forth from college when I was in school. Most of them are ones that were gifts from someone, or special in some other way. I have a mini-collection of otters and monkeys, because those are my two favorite animals.

My Dr. Who collection mainly consists of a couple of shirts, a Christmas ornament (a blown glass TARDIS, which unfortunately took a dive off my shelf and broke a little *sniff*), and a TARDIS towel. I really want a bowtie though.
kittypippin

Postby whovianlove » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:57 pm

Ummm.. I have a fairly decent collection of mechanical pencils! :lol:

A collection of anime cels, mostly Sasami from Tenchi Muyo.

And I do own way too many plushies for a (nearly) 28 year old man. =) THEY'RE COLLECTIBLES, DARN IT!! :geek:
whovianlove
Site Admin

Postby pandacobain » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:18 pm

kittypippin, thanks! Stuffed animals that you've had since a kid usually hold a special place in your heart no matter if you want to admit it or not. Especially when they're from someone special or some place special. Sadly I don't have any shirts or ornaments yet... Omg. I want the TARDIS beach towel before I go out of town this weekend but I know that won't happen. Dx I will be getting a bowtie soon! I have to. :3 I'm also planning on making a little blue one for my rat, Doctor Raticus. :D

whovianlove, what kind of plushies? :3 Anime cels? What's that. Sorry if that's a dumb question. I like anime but I have no idea what an anime cel is. Haha. You haven't lost a ton of mechanical pencils? I used to have a ton of pens and pencils in the bottom of my bookbag when I was in school. xD Ooh. I do seem to collect a lot of notebooks. They started off as being "to be journal" notebooks but then I stopped writing in my journals. I used to do it everyday. I almost finished my second one but just go back to it every now and then.
pandacobain

Postby whovianlove » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:37 pm

They're mostly anime and video game plushies. And a cel is just a drawing on a piece of clear plastic. They're what is actually used when "filming" an animated movie. (There's probably a better, more technical explanation out there. But, I'm just a fan of animation, not a student of it!)
whovianlove
Site Admin

Postby pandacobain » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:00 pm

That's awesome! What's your favorite plushie? :D
Ooh. Ok. I got ya. That is so cool. I would love to get some of those. I would probably have a field day getting some. I have a few character figures... But the only one that I know the name of is the Sailor Moon one I have. xD The other ones are I think just sexy anime chicks that I couldn't help but buy.
pandacobain

Postby kittypippin » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:19 am

whovianlove wrote:Ummm.. I have a fairly decent collection of mechanical pencils!

That reminds me, I forgot my epic collection of Sharpies. There was a time in my life when I wore cargo pants/shorts all the time, specifically so I could carry at least 8 Sharpies with me at all times. And then I kept another 30 or so in my backpack that came with me everywhere. I have since eschewed that way of life, but I still have all the Sharpies strewn throughout the rest of my belongings. Now I'm just super picky about what type of pen I use, and what type of paper. If it's not a Pilot G-2 0.38 tip, with Moleskine paper (or paper of similar quality) it drives me nuts.
kittypippin

Postby Kjasi » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:13 am

whovianlove wrote:And a cel is just a drawing on a piece of clear plastic. They're what is actually used when "filming" an animated movie. (There's probably a better, more technical explanation out there. But, I'm just a fan of animation, not a student of it!)

Once upon a time, when 2D animation was first industrialized, they found that if they made a drawing onto a transparent piece of celluloid, (hence-forth known as an "animation cel") they could photograph the drawings over various backgrounds, and even move the backgrounds in relation to the cels! (The first animated feature film, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs by Disney used this technique.)

Animation cels are painstakingly created one at a time. First, they would take the rough animation which was drawn on animation paper (a specially-punched piece of thin paper that could be perfectly align with any other piece of animation paper, and is slightly transparent, to allow the animator to see drawings under that paper) and carefully copy the lines to the cel. The lines are then inked, and the cel is allowed to dry. Then a colorist would carefully paint the cel, adding color and shading, so it would appropriately match the shading of the preceding and following cels. Each color pass would require drying the cel before being able to continue coloring it. Once it was completed, it would be taken, photographed against the proper backgrounds, then stored away. Most companies recycle their cels, as each clean cel is rather expensive to purchase. However, some companies choose to sell a few cels, offering devoted fans a special piece of their favorite show. (This practice is much more common in Japan.)

This is how animation was done for nearly 70 years. However, when computers became the norm in all aspects of TV and film production, animation studios began moving to near-digital production. (Using computers to ink and color scans, which Disney began doing for their animated features with Beauty and the Beast.) Today, very few-to-no animation studios in the United States use animation cels anymore. It's simply faster and cheaper to do it either near-digital or all-digital. (All-digital production simply means that the initial sketches are made inside a computer, as well as the inking and the coloring.)

In Japan, near-digital production for anime shows didn't start taking root until they began producing shows in HD around 2004. However, these near-digital and all-digital production studios still manufacture animation cels, but purely for the purpose of selling them to the fans.

And that is a brief overview of the history of animation cels.
Kjasi

Return to Other Things