Music

Discuss other geeky things!

Music

Postby kittypippin » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:17 pm

It just now occurred to me that of all the supremely geeky things that are under discussion here, no one has started anything about my original geeky love, music.

I eat, sleep, and breathe music most days. It's rare when I don't have something playing over speakers, and even if I don't, I have something playing in my head. Speaking of collections, that's also one of my biggest. I have a ridiculous amount of music on my computer. It takes up most of one of my hard-drives.

My tastes are widely eclectic. I grew up on Christian rock from the late 80s and early 90s, alongside hard rock, metal, folk, classic rock, particularly Carole King, James Taylor, Joanie Mitchell and the like. I like most of it still, except for metal. But I've added indie pop, normal pop (with the exception of "artists" like Nicki Minaj, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, etc), more folk but more along the lines of new music with folk influences, Celtic, choral (especially Medieval madrigal pieces, which are possibly the funniest songs ever. For serious), classical (especially Baroque. I love me some Bach, Handel and Vivaldi), some jazz, anti-folk, African influenced folk stuff (the drums they use... addicting). Quite possibly more than that, I'm just blanking. My favorite artists include Relient K, Florence and the Machine, Sara Bareilles, Regina Spektor, Ingrid Michaelson, JJ Heller, Flatfoot 56, Celtic Woman, Fun., Billy Joel, Simon & Garfunkel... I could go on. For hours.

So now that I've established that I'm a massive music geek... anyone else share my devotion to the art? Who are your favorites, and why?
kittypippin

Re: Music

Postby gothmetacrisis » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:55 am

I love everything from Andrews Sisters to Alabama to Alice Cooper all the way to Front 242, Rob or White Zombie, Danzig, Megadeth, Frontline Assembly, KMFDM

Tons of 80's/90's stuff but also 50's, 60's 70's...I'm all over the place! lol

Even country & classical!
gothmetacrisis

Postby pandacobain » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:05 am

I was thinking about making this topic before I logged on! :D Anyway....

Aha. I'm the same with being all over the place! The type of music I listen to usually depends on my mood. My favorites sometimes depend on that as well along with colors. Haha. My phone currently has music from the soundtrack for Repo: The Genetic Opera, Michael Buble, MyChildren MyBride, Man Overboard, The Lumineers, Lilly Allen, Scissor Sisters, Bruno Mars, Christina Aguilera, Ke$ha, MC Chris. I also love the Beatles, Pat Benatar, and... Wow... Can't remember the name of them, they're Irish. Haha.

At the moment, I think MC Chris is still gonna be my favorite. I love all his songs. The Wonder Years are amazing as well. I used to couldn't go a day without listening to music but lately I just haven't really felt like listening to music which is pretty sad.
pandacobain

Postby traveling221 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:25 pm

If we were to choose the 5 desert albums, 3 would be Radiohead. The best thing about them, is that the albums are not alike. They always reinvent themselves and on top of that, to hear them Live is freaking amazing.

Other Bands I love are Tool, NIN, Tori Amos, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Macklemore. They all have a way of creating music on another level.
traveling221

Postby kittypippin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:39 pm

I also love Pentatonix, Imogen Heap, Enya, acappella in general (because seriously, to make all those sounds with no instruments? Stunning)... oh, and musicals. I love musical movies (like right now I'm watching Pitch Perfect for like, the millionth time). And Broadway stuff too. Wicked, Les Miserables... All the things. I also particularly love Disney music.
kittypippin

Postby kittypippin » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:44 pm

I figure this is probably the best place to put this. I just came across this while derping around on Cheezeburger. I love the harp. And the Doctor Who Theme Song. So basically it's all awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 061gfebd7Q
kittypippin

Postby pandacobain » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:33 pm

I'll have to watch that video later. At the moment I'm listening to some Michael Buble. Hoping it'll cheer me up a bit. He is amazing. I'm half expecting to break down crying during some of the songs though. They're all so beautiful and full of the feels.

I do like Imogene Heap as well though. And I enjoy the Psychedelic Furs quite a bit. They're great. :) Oh. And Fkogging Molly. Can't forget Flogging Molly! Haha. I'll probably think of more but I'm waiting for Season 1 Episode 5 of The Client List to download. >.< It's moving so slow!!
pandacobain

Postby clararedrose » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:54 pm

When I was a kid/teen my favorite band was ELO. Hardly nayone know who they were. I forgot about them for years until I heard Mr. Blue Sky on Dr. Who--gods and Monsters. I LOVE ELO AGAIN!
The Beatles of course. Massive Beatle fan! WEnt to see Macca In concert! Yes! U2, and lots of 60s, 70s , 80s stuff. The Kinks, The Clash, stuff like that.
clararedrose

Return to Other Things